Catholic Theology Questions and Answers (Closed.)

Post your questions in the comments. (Closed now.)

35 Responses to Catholic Theology Questions and Answers (Closed.)

1. Mike says:

Hello Mr. Conte: Can we really hope hell is empty? Thanks.

Hell is certainly not empty, as Scripture and Tradition clearly teach. At Fatima, the children were shown Hell, and it was terrifying, so … not empty. Also, about a half dozen or more Ecumenical Councils have taught dogmas that are incompatible with the claim that all human souls eventually go to Heaven, or that Hell is empty. See my articles:
      Is Hell empty?

• Mike says:

Thank you so much!

2. guilhermefeitosa024 says:

ron, I saw on the website true or false pope about an alleged serious error by Pope Celestine III, does it make sense?

3. Robert Fastiggi says:

Dear Ron,

In a recent interview, Cardinal Müller warned of groups seeking seeking a hostile takeover of the Church as well as the promotion of ideas that will lead to “the destruction of the Catholic Church”: https://www.ncregister.com/interview/cardinal-mueller-on-synod-on-synodality-a-hostile-takeover-of-the-church-of-jesus-christ-we-must-resist In light of the dogma of the indefectibility of the Church, should we understand the Cardinal’s warnings as simply hyperbolic or irresponsible?

Cardinal Muller should reflect on the indefectibility of the Church as well as the Roman Pontiff. He criticizes somethings that deserve criticism, but he seem to also lack trust in the never-failing faith of each and every valid Pope. His words are irresponsible, as he gives the impression that this controversy over ideas can be lost, as if the Church could be destroyed.

The Church has the right to teach and to guide. She is free to consult with the faithful and their priests, as in the synod of synod. She is free to make decisions and teach by the body of Bishops led by the Pope, and the Pope himself can teach by his sole authority, as the Vicar of Christ. But some critics do not seem to want the Church to be led by the Pope, nor by the body of Bishops dispersed in the world, nor by Ecumenical Councils, nor do they even want the faithful to be consulted. Who then would they accept to lead the Church? Only themselves apparently.

I don’t think Cardinal Muller has gone so far astray as many other critics of Pope Francis, but he should be careful not to fan the flames of their errors.

4. Robert Fastiggi says:

Thank you very much, Ron. I agree with your perspective. In many respects, Cardinal Müller is a good Catholic theologian. He should, though, be more careful in what he says and trust more in the never-failing faith of each Pope.

5. Marvin says:

Dear Mr. Ronald Conte Jr.,

I hope you are doing well. I apologize for my typing and english grammar/sentence structure in advance as I tried to wrapped my head around as to what Nicholas Wylie on the Liturgy and the explanation I am trying to type it out. A friend of mine requested I watched a video on Church Militant on the Reformed Mass (link to sources below of this text). According to Nicholas Wylie, neither the Latin Mass nor the Novus Ordo Mass should be relied upon but the actual Liturgy implementation in the Sacrosanctum Concilium. He says here that we should see the minor update of the 1962 missal in the Sacrosanctum Concilium without the major haul that Archbishop Bugnini have done. I am confused and need of light here in what Nicholas says and would like to know if Church Militant is a credible Catholic news article? I would like to know who is Archbishop Bugnini and why is everyone painting him as a villian or a bad guy? Is it true that the liturgy should be a reformed of the 1962 without the 1969 or the 1962 in the vernacular? I tried looking for the authentic and what the liturgy should look like with the Sacrosanctum Concilium implementation without Archbishop Bugnini’s way or implementation.

I greatly appreciate your time and help. God bless you for your mission to help any misinformation and confusion for Catholics. Pray for the division in the church for the liturgical wars as I pray for the reversion of my catholic friends who are in the liturgical war. The Mass of the Ages video got me confused and need to shed a light as to if what they documented and filmed is true. Thank you.

A Blessed Feast Day of Saint Ignatius of Antioch

Do not listen to Church Militant, they are not faithful to the Pope, the body of Bishops, or the Ecumenical Councils. Trust the Pope and the body of Bishops led by him, as they are the successors of Peter and the other Apostles. The Church is indefectible; She can never lead astray or go astray. As for Bugnini, whatever role or influence he had is irrelevant. When the Pope and the body of Bishops approve a teaching or discipline, then it is of Christ and the Holy Spirit.

• Marvin says:

Dear Mr. Ronald Conte Jr.,

Thank you so much for the help that you give in clarifying the questions that I have and solving any concerns that I have. I will remain faithful to the deposit of faith and faithful to Holy Mother Church in which Christ has entrusted through the Pope and the body of bishops led by him. For as Holy Scripture mentioned and the teachings of the church that has been handed down, the Pope is the successor of Saint Peter and the Bishops are the successors to the apostles. God Bless you for all the help that you give to all Catholics in today’s times.

You’re welcome.

6. Marvin says:

To follow up on the previous question,
    Should the liturgy actually be facing towards the east? Should the orientation of the way mass should be celebrated ad orientem? Nicholas Wylie says that in the documents on the instruction of the liturgy it does not mention the celebration of the mass is facing the people. In simple words. Sacrosanctum Concilium never specifies or says to face the people in the mass or change the altar. Let me know in summary what Sacrosanctum Concilium really says? I’ve been getting mixed biases on Catholics from both sides. I wish I was educated on the liturgy without going into the trenches of the liturgical war on who is right or wrong. I really appreciate again your help and clarification. Thank you very much and God Bless!

Do not listen to Nicholas Wylie. The Church exercises authority from Christ with the guidance of the Holy Spirit at all times, not only when a Council issues documents. The Pope has the authority to change the liturgy. We need not only follow what Sacrosanctum Concilium says, as discipline, even that of a Council, is changeable by the authority of the Church.

Christ established the Mass, but not with immutable specifics. He left the specifics of the liturgy to the Church, to change with changing times.

• Marvin says:

Thank you also for the follow up question that I have. I will make sure to read the Catechism along with Holy Scripture and to practice the faith more fervently through the sacraments. I will also do my best to put down the technology and do more reading on the approved books from the Church. Example: Imitation of Christ, Denziger (Enchiridion Symbolorum), The Discernment of Spirits by Father Timothy Gallagher, etc. For Christ has entrusted the shepherds that he has appointed to feed the flock with his body and blood through the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass each day.

That work, “The Discernment of Spirits by Father Timothy Gallagher”, is NOT in the same category as Denzinger, the Catechism, or the Bible. Read Church documents, such as Veritatis Splendor or Redemptoris Missio. Works by individual Catholics, even if they have the imprimatur, are opinion or one person’s subjective understanding of doctrine.

• Marvin says:

Got it. Thanks for the clarification and the Church documents that you mentioned. I will be sure to read those. God bless.

7. fr. Philip says:

How does the war between Russia and Ukraine fit into your vision of the end times where you say world war 3 will be started by the extremists from the muslim world?

I still hold that opinion. But now we see that the West has expended vast amounts of weapons and ammo on the war in Ukraine, so they are disadvantaged for fighting the Muslim extremists. Then it is very clear that Russia, especially if they lose the war, will not participate on the side of the Allies, and may supply weapons and ammo to the extremists — just as the West supplied lethal military aid to Ukraine. Russia could also cut off fuel, fertilizer, and food during such a war, further disadvantaging the West. Previously, many persons asked me how the West could lose a war against the Muslim nations led by extremists. This new information is part of the answer.

8. James Belcher says:

Ron,
    I have been reviewing whether or not there were persons who died and went to heaven before the time of Jesus Christ. In reviewing this topic, it appears there are differences in opinion. Some people suggest the Old Testament proves people went to heaven prior to Jesus Christ but the New Testament suggests otherwise. I would like to know your opinion and if people did not enter heaven prior to Christ, did they enter after his resurrection?

Church doctrine is that those who died in the state of grace, prior to the sacrifice of Christ that opened the way for everyone to possibly enter heaven, these persons went to Purgatory, and once they had paid for their sins, they went to the Limbo of the Fathers. There, they awaited the sacrifice of Christ that would open the gates of Heaven for them. I’m not sure, off-hand, when exactly they are considered to have entered Heaven, at the death, resurrection, or ascension of Christ.

9. Vít Lacman says:

What advice would you give to a scrupulous person like me, who often doubts whether something is a sin (even though these doubts have always proven to be unfounded) in situations that do not allow for a thorough examination of the issue. For example , one has to make a decision very quickly and cannot think about it for a long time.

For decisions that must be made quickly AND when you are in doubt, if other Catholics do not consider it a sin, you generally should not. A scrupulous person should given himself the benefit of the doubt, when he cannot decide if it is a sin or not. Consider that most devout Catholics usually have the right judgment on whether or not an act is a sin.

• Vít Lacman says:

Thank You for reply.

• Vít Lacman says:

When I was in such a situation, I used this rule to act without sin: All of my previous doubts have proven to be unwarranted after examining the matter, so it is very likely that this matter is not actually a sin. Do you think this is a good way to resolve doubts?
      I am very thankful for Your time, You spend answering my questions.

Only for situations where one must decide quickly what to do. The best way is to learn Catholic ethics, and pray frequently.

10. Barbara says:

Ron ,can you explain the unforgivable sin Thank you

All sins are forgivable in this life. The only unforgiveable sin is final impenitence: to refuse, through the last moment of life, to repent from actual mortal sin. That sin is unforgiveable because the person dies without repentance when they are not in the state of grace due to actual mortal sin.

It is not true that a person can cut themselves off from God’s mercy by certain types of sins, thereby preventing repentance from grave sin and causing loss of salvation.