Week-End Question and Answer

Ask a question on any topic in theology, especially subject areas I cover in my theology. Questions are also welcome on Covid-19 and the pandemic.

44 Responses to Week-End Question and Answer

1. Sunimal Fernando says:

1. Recent messages in afterthewarning.com.
    ???
    2. Can Obama comes again According to your country rules? I am from Sri Lanka.
    3. Why st.Malachi pope list is not accepted by Vatican
    4. Why Vatican did not tell about Jesus second coming

I don’t follow “after the warning”. Obama cannot be president again, as he had two terms and that is the limit. The St. Malachi Popes list is private revelation, which is not part of Tradition or Scripture; that’s why it is not official Vatican or Church teaching. The Church does have teachings about the Return of Jesus, but not much is known with certitude.

2. MP says:

In your article “No, Taylor Marshall, Children cannot be Possessed by Demons” you note that, in the Old Testament, God commanded the Israelites to kill innocent women and children among the Canaanite tribes. However, in your “Response to Deacon Jim Russel on Combatants and Double Effect,” you state that “The killing of countless innocents is mass murder, and murder in any form is intrinsically evil and always gravely immoral.”

So, is murder identical to the killing of an innocent person, and mass murder identical to the killing of many innocent people? If so, then killing innocent people is intrinsically evil, and I am thus not sure how it would be possible for God to command the Israelites to do so, since God cannot will intrinsic evils. Or is another condition, such as the usurpation of God’s role as the Author of Life, necessary for the killing of an innocent person to be classed as “murder?”

God has the authority over life and death, since He created all life. Also, those who die are not dead to Him, as they are alive in the afterlife. So it is not murder. If God were to cause persons to cease to exist (as some have proposed instead of eternal punishment) that would be the equivalent of murder.

3. Marco says:

Will there be some kind of sex in Heaven? Many assume that this won’t be the case because MT 22, 29-30 and because Mary and Joseph didn’t have sex despite they could have afferma Jesus was born. What is the theological consensum on this topic? And what do you think, personally?

P.s: glad to see you again, Ron, i’m Marco from Italy, do you remember me?

Yes, I remember you (vaguely). There’s no sex in Heaven, nor on earth after the general resurrection:
      {20:34} And so, Jesus said to them: “The children of this age marry and are given in marriage.
      {20:35} Yet truly, those who shall be held worthy of that age, and of the resurrection from the dead, will neither be married, nor take wives.
      {20:36} For they can no longer die. For they are equal to the Angels, and they are children of God, since they are children of the resurrection.

• Marco says:

Another question, Mark: are the theologians Who think that there will be sex in Heaven heretics? And what is the point of the corporeal resurrection if the body doesn’t have any role in the heavenly experience of the resurrected?

sex in Heaven is at least proximate to heresy, as it contradicts our Lord’s words in the Gospel. The body has enjoyments beyond sex, such as enjoying the sun on your face, or the wind in your hair, or the beauty of nature.

• Marco says:

@Ron

The catholic theologians who say this thing say that there won’t be genital intercourse in Heaven, because it won’t be needed. They say that the resurrected body will be able to penetrate the other in its entirety, without the need of genital intercourse, because the resurrected body will be spiritualized, under the control of the soul. Even put it like that is proximate to heresy?

Oh and one more thing: will there be the possibility to eat in Heaven?

Another question: if i make sure that my grandchild, as soon as he is able to receive Communion, does the nine first fridays devotion https://www.americaneedsfatima.org/Our-Lord-Jesus-Christ/the-nine-first-fridays-devotion.html , can i be sure that Jesus will not allow him to die in the state of mortal sin when he will be able to committ actual mortal sins? Because one of Jesus promises concerning this devotion is “In the excess of the mercy of my Heart, I promise you that my all powerful love will grant to all those who will receive Communion on the First Fridays, for nine consecutive months, the grace of final repentance: they will not die in my displeasure, nor without receiving the sacraments; and my Heart will be their secure refuge in that last hour.”

Thanks in advance Ron and may God bless you.

After the general Resurrection, people are able to eat, but they don’t need to eat, as shown by Jesus eating fish after His Resurrection. The claim that people have some kind of supernatural sex in Heaven or after the general Resurrection is at least proximate to heresy; and it is the idolatry of sex, making sex out to be some time of divine act, when it is of the fallen state only. Those of the Resurrection are no longer in the fallen state, so they absolutely do not have sex. Avoid the writings of any theologian or priest who makes such a claim.

• Marco says:

P.s

And, Ron, excuse me if i called you Mark, but i’m having an epistulary exchange with an american called Mark (just like me, even though i’m the italian version ahahahaha 😂.

• Marco says:

@Ron

“To obtain that promise, a person must choose the devotion of their own free will. It will not necessarily work if you prompt a young child to do the devotion.”

If a child is able to receive Communion i think it’s fair to say that he has enough free will to be able to obtain that promise if i explain to him why i bring him to this devotion and he accepts it, right? Otherwise the Church wouldn’t allow such young children to receive Communion either, had their free will not been developed enough. I mean, sure, a 13/14 years old is much more likely to committ some actual mortal sins, but this doesn’t mean that an 8/9 years old can’t accept something out of his own volition.

Am i wrong?

And what about the other two questions of the other post? I would love to read your opinion.

I told you my opinion. I don’t think you can guarantee salvation for a child in that way. They have free will. Their decisions as adults matter. And if an adult were to do the nine first Fridays devotion, and then deliberately abandon the Faith, he would be abandoning his past devotion, and he could go to Hell. It’s not an absolute guarantee. You have to continue in devotion to the Lord and the Faith, as evidenced by the part of the promise that offers the Sacraments at death. Someone who does the 9 first Fridays devotion, and then becomes an atheist does not get the guarantee.

• Narco says:

@Ron

Of course, but the Promise should imply that Jesus wouldn’t allow someone who does that devotion to become an atheist. Or, if he were to become an atheist, Jesus would bring him to repentance. I’m basino this even on Cornacchiola’s case https://voiceofthefamily.com/fr-linus-clovis-our-lady-of-revelation-at-tre-fontane/

Otherwise i see no reason to promise “I promise you that my all powerful love will grant to all those who will receive Communion on the First Fridays, for nine consecutive months, the grace of final repentance: they will not die in my displeasure, nor without receiving the sacraments” if someone who did that would still be able to die in mortal sin.

We know that God can bring someone to repentance without forcing his/her free will if he wants to.

People have free will. You are taking the promise to too much of an extreme by saying that Jesus would prevent someone from doing anything that would cause the loss of their salvation. This type of a promise has to have a reasonable interpretation and application, otherwise, we could do the nine first fridays, and then ignore all the teachings of Jesus in the Gospels. So I don’t think His promise can be interpreted to that extent.

• Marco says:

@Ron

“You have to continue in devotion to the Lord and the Faith, as evidenced by the part of the promise that offers the Sacraments at death. ”

That’s obvious, my point was that Jesus would bring the lost sheep back. He never said ifs and buts, he said “they will receive the gift of final repentance” and, more important, “they will NOT die in my displeasure”.

He went to great means for example to save Cornacchiola.

• Marco says:

@Ron

“After the general Resurrection, people are able to eat, but they don’t need to eat, as shown by Jesus eating fish after His Resurrection”

So they won’t eat? I mean, it’s not like if you don’t need to do somehting you don’t have to do it. If something is pleasurable and not sinful it can be done, theoretically. Am i wrong?

“The claim that people have some kind of supernatural sex in Heaven or after the general Resurrection is at least proximate to heresy; and it is the idolatry of sex, making sex out to be some time of divine act, when it is of the fallen state only. Those of the Resurrection are no longer in the fallen state, so they absolutely do not have sex. Avoid the writings of any theologian or priest who makes such a claim.”

Ok. Thank you.

I’m saying that people will eat for enjoyment after the general resurrection, so I think you are agreeing with me.

4. Matt Z. says:

I have a hard time explaining Sacred Tradition to my teenager. Divine Revelation comes from 1Scripture 2Tradition 3Magesterium. What could be one or two examples of how we can apply our faith to the Divine Revelation of Sacred Tradition?

Tradition is the lived Faith. We Christians who live in imitation of Christ are part of that living Tradition. In so far as you or your teen live in imitation of Christ, you are part of that living Tradition. The teachings of Christ are meant to be lived, and they are passed on by those who live the Faith, most esp. by Saints and martyrs, and also by the living Tradition of the Church and how the Church lives the Faith. That’s the Living Tradition.

September 25, 2020 Message to Marija (Medjugorje)

“Dear children! I am with you for so long because God is great in His love and in my presence. I am calling you, little children: return to God and to prayer. May the measure of your [way of] living be love and do not forget, little children, that prayer and fasting work miracles in you and around you. May everything you do be for the glory of God, and then Heaven will fill your heart with joy and you will feel that God loves you and is sending me to save you and the earth on which you live. Thank you for having responded to my call.”

What is your interpretation of “sending me to save….the earth on which you live.”

6. Aaron says:

Do you think the upcoming discussion about the new Supreme Court nomination court escalate anti-Catholic sentiment?

I think a rise in anti-Catholic sentiment is a few years away. The nomination may increase civil disorder and violent protests, esp. with a controversial election coming up. There will be a dispute over who won, given the difficulty of counting mail-in ballots. I expect much violence to result. Also, there will be a vast increase in Covid-19 deaths, forcing the nation to choose between (a) a severe shutdown that will ruin the economy and prompt violence in very many places, or, (b) taking a vitamin D pill every day.

Ron, can you write a separate post (or reply here) on Pope Francis tweet on September 25 where he states the following: ‘We need to dismantle the perverse logic that links personal and national security to the possession of weaponry. This logic serves only to increase the profits of the arms industry, while fostering a climate of distrust and fear between persons and peoples”

Pope Francis is getting a lot of negative comments on this post. Not share what to make of it. I believe he is the Vicar of Christ and a valid Pope. I think it is a human right for persons to bear arms and defend their family. Our family does not own a gun but we are seriously considering purchasing one very soon due to potential civil unrest due to the fallout of the elections and increase in coronavirus and subsequent lockdowns this November.

I think that some persons should own firearms particularly during the coming events, which may see much violence and crime. The comment Pope Francis made: True security in the world comes from conversion of the heart and mind, so that we love one another. Then we are secure. Danger comes mostly from mortal sins: murder, robbery, assaults, etc. And this can occur on the individual level, or in smaller or larger groups, even to the extent of a major war. Weapons are necessary for self-defense, defense of the community (LEOs), defense of the nation (soldiers). But real security is found in getting rid of the cause of danger, which is a lack of love, faith, and hope. Similarly, the abortion problem will not be overcome by making abortion illegal, but by people converting to give up their grave sexual sins; that is the root cause of abortion and contraception.

8. Thomas Mazanec says:

What do you expect Covid-19 to do after next summer? Go up again in the following winter or die down?

By next winter, 2021-2022, I hope people will have realized that they need to take Vitamin D and a few other supplements as a prophylaxis, and that certain medications are effective. If so, then Covid will not go up next winter, or even this winter — if only persons in charge of medical care would listen to the studies.

9. Alex says:

Does the Catholic Church support any political party in the US elections? Is Trump considered a kind of savior of Christian morals by the majority of Catholic bishops?

There is no official teaching or position of the Church in elections for individuals or parties (speaking in general). Catholic teaching on ethics always applies. Most Bishops in the U.S. are liberal and so they oppose Trump; most conservative Bishops support him. Bishops should generally stay out of politics (in my opinion).

• Alex says:

Thanks for the fast answers. As I understand, the Catholic Church does not have a preferred candidate to endorse, it is left up to the consciences of the voters and consciences of the bishops that differ greatly between despite all claim to represent the views of the One Catholic Church.
      In practical terms:
      1. I do not want to vote for pro abortion candidates, therefore Biden/Harris is a no go.
      2. I do not like Trump as personal character or public behavior, I do not think his other positions, except those concerning abortion, represent the Catholic positions. He sacrificed thousands of lives for his stubborn refusal to accept a simple mask, etc.

Do I have another option, such as non voting, or voting for a third candidate? Must I automatically vote for Trump only because he SAYS he is anti abortion, while in the process I forget all other issues some of them concerning human life as well?
      Must I follow him about everything else, as God’s anointed best president? (as he said).

I understand the answers are difficult and personal, but I want to make it crystal clear where the Catholic Church stands on it. Because if I listen to archbishop Vigano, this US election is a Biblical struggle between God’s and demonic forces. As if I do not vote for Trump I buy a ticket straight to hell. Such position frankly scares me.

You can refrain from voting, if there is no candidate you can support in good conscience. Vigano is a schismatic and heretic, who is making up his own religion, frankly. Ignore him. He has no authority in the Church. From what you are saying, it sounds like the only choice you could make in good conscience is not to vote at all.

10. Alex says:

Is the theoretical possibility of existence of life on other planets rejected by the Holy Scripture or Tradition?
    If there is a practical possibility to settle on another planet, will that change the chance of salvation for those people who choose to do so, i.e. “they will not be on earth therefore the salvation of Jesus Christ who died on earth doesn’t apply to them anymore”?

There’s no rejection of the possibility of life on other planets by Scripture or Tradition. Settling on another planet would not cause anyone to lose their salvation, since God created the entire universe and all who are saved are saved by Jesus.