These predictions are speculative and fallible. I don’t have any ability to see or know the future. These are proposed possible events. I could certainly be wrong. But it is interesting to consider what may occur.
1. This might be the year that Pope Francis resigns from office. In the past, he has suggested that he might resign.
2. Pope emeritus Benedict XVI is said by Pope Francis to be very ill. He might pass away this year.
[Update: Pope Benedict passed away “Saturday in a monastery in the Vatican at the age of 95”, according to CNN. Please pray for the repose of his soul. Note that he died 31 Dec 2022, not in 2023, as I had predicted!]
3. If there is a new Pope, I expect that he will be conservative, as some Cardinals perhaps see the Pontificate of Pope Francis as too liberal or too controversial. They might choose a conservative Roman Pontiff, with a track record of service in the Vatican. So I still think that Cardinal Arinze could be a good choice and frontrunner for the next Pope. He is an older candidate, but Cardinals consider older age to be an advantage when electing a new Pope, as it guarantees, in a sense, that the Pontificate will not be too long, giving them another opportunity to elect a successor. The length of the reign of Pope Saint John Paul II is not necessarily seen as a good thing, in itself. Note that there is no upper age limit for a candidate for the papacy. Cardinals must be less than 80 years of age to vote in a conclave, but older Cardinals can still be elected Pope.
4. Regarding the Warning and Miracle, often discussed regarding the Marian apparitions at Garabandal, 2023 is a possible year for those events: the Warning on Good Friday and the Miracle on the evening of May 11th, which is a Thursday and the vigil of the feast of Blessed Imelda Lambertini. She died on the vigil (May 12) of the Feast of the Ascension (May 13) in the year 1333. See my book at Amazon.
5. I hope and believe that Ukraine will regain its territory, borders, and security in 2023. Russia was wrong to invade Ukraine, and Ukraine is right to defend itself. Other nations are right to assist Ukraine in its defense.
6. Iran is close to obtaining nuclear weapons. Unfortunately, Russia might help Iran with its nuclear program in exchange for Iran’s support in the Ukraine war. This year, 2023, might see Iran complete a number of nukes and become a great threat to the U.S. and the world.
7. China is likely to try to take control of Taiwan this year. See my upcoming post on this topic.
8. The world economy is headed for difficult times. Currently, the economies of most nations are so thoroughly intertwined and interdependent that harm to the economy anywhere is harm to the economy everywhere. Supply chains have become so long and complex that a major disruption to international shipping, or a trade war, or an escalation of the war in Ukraine, or other problems can cause a domino effect that harms many sectors of the world and the U.S. economy.
9. World agriculture is also headed for difficult times. The world food economy is one tightly-woven tapestry, and the war in Ukraine has torn its fabric. Many different factors can harm the ability of a nation to produce sufficient food: high prices or low availability for diesel; the same for natural gas, which is used to make nitrogen fertilizer; the same for fertilizer; disruptions in the supply chain for agricultural equipment; lack of skilled laborers to run farms and farming equipment; etc. The E.U. has seen a reduction in its own production of fertilizer by 70% or more. Exports of fertilizer from Belarus and Russia, major suppliers of fertilizer to the world, have been reduced due to the chilling effect of sanctions. (Fertilizer is not itself sanctioned.)
10. Finally, I hope that 2023 will see an end to the global Covid-19 pandemic. Despite a return to apparent normalcy in the U.S., our nation still sees 2000 to 4000 Covid-19 deaths per two-week period of time (Source).
Ronald L. Conte Jr.
I am afraid Covid-19 will be endemic.
Ron, don’t you think Sarah is a possible option for the next Pope?
That is possible.
With the disclaimer that I don’t like the terms “liberal” and “conservative” applied to Catholicism, part of me wants a more “conservative” pope mainly out of curiosity. The Anti-Francis Noise Machine has spent a decade writing up all the reasons they don’t need to follow the Vicar of Christ. It would be fascinating to see how they respond to “liberals” who then take those words and apply them to the “conservative” pope and say they don’t need to follow or listen either.
Cardinal Arinze is now 90. Pope emeritus Benedict is 95. Age cannot be undone as of now. Sure God can do everything. But…
Pope Francis may choose his resignation to coincide with the inevitable soon to happen funeral of the beloved pope Benedict. In that way there will be smooth transition without extra weight on the faithful and the world. Otherwise we will have one solemn funeral, followed after several months by another news storm of a papal conclave. Pope Francis could just take the place of pope emeritus, as he defined as contemplative support of the Church.
If we look at the cardinals, obviously cardinal Tagle is a frontrunner, compromise between liberals and conservatives, between the center and the periphery. But I think it will not be any frontrunner. It can’t be a conservative, Ron. The Church went too far to go back. If indeed a conservative Pius XIII is elected, we will have schisms and not only in Germany. See how develops the Church in Brazil with a newer version of the mass. We may want cardinal Sarah, Muller, or even some more conservative bishops, but it isn’t going to happen and we all know that.
Why not the next pope to be elected among the bishops? The hierarchy lost a lot of confidence anyway. Pope Francis tried to repair that image by appointing cardinals from the periphery. A bishop in far away Amazonia, Peru, or…you name it. Latin America still have half of all Catholics worldwide.
But I think it will not be any frontrunner.
Ben, there is a saying that papabiles enter the conclave as Pope and come out as Cardinals.
You’re wrote and posted on July 15, 2020, The Prophecy of Three Popes. With the passing of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, what are your thoughts now on the Prophecy of Three Popes?
If that prophecy is true, then the Warning begins sometime during the reign of Pope Francis. The passing of Pope Benedict has no effect on it. It does look like 2023 will be the year of the Warning of Garabandal.
Ron, one of the requirements of the Warning/Miracle is that it will occur in an even year. This detail came from Glenn Hudson, who is a big advocate of Garabandal.
That source, from what I can find, comes from a book:
“Suddenly & Unexpectedly, The end of our Times” by Tom Fahy .pg .93 (Published November 11, 2012 )
In the book, Mari Loli stated in an interview that it will occur in an even year.
I believe this is a conclusion drawn by Garabandal adherents, and not something stated by Mary in the apparitions.
Garabandal 2023… perhaps. Conchita is 74 this year so at the very least we can surmise it will be sooner rather than later….
Parolin as next Pope.
Parolin is papabile (Wikipedia).
Ron do you think Cardinal Odilo Scherer a good choice, or someone possible?
I don’t know anything about him.