New Catholicism Q and A

Ask any question on Catholicism. I’ll answer within reason, if I can. Use the comments below for the Q and the A.

51 Responses to New Catholicism Q and A

1. Patrick says:

In the latest message to Pedro Regis from Our Lady is the line ‘Those who love the truth will be persecuted and brought before the courts’.How do you interpret this?

Predictions of future sufferings can apply to the first part of the tribulation, or the second part, or both. In both, Christians will be persecuted. In the first, by the Muslim extremists when they conquer Europe. In the second, in the distant future, under the Antichrist. There will also be, in both times, disputes within Catholicism, where the faithful might be persecuted by other persons in their parish or diocese.

2. James Belcher says:

Ron,
    I have a few questions concerning angels and fallen angels (demons).
    I believe all angels had and currently have free will. They have chosen the path to serve or reject God. Since they all have free will, my questions are as follows:
    1. Can angels still reject God and become fallen angels?
    a. If yes, then is it possible to lose a Guardian angel?
    2. Can fallen angels accept God and become angels again?
    3. When the book of Revelations talks about a warring faction between angels and fallen angels – Is it the future or past events?

1. The view of St. Thomas is that the angels were all sinless when created, then they were tested by being shown the plan of God to become human and die on the Cross as Jesus Christ. They were asked to worship Christ. Those who refused, out of pride, fell from grace and became devils, Satan being the first to refuse, whose example led the others to fall also. Those who worshiped Christ entered the Beatific Vision of God and now can never sin. These holy angels never sinned, and can never sin. Those human souls in Heaven and the angels there as well can’t sin as they have the grace of God to never sin and can see God directly in their souls.
      1.a. The answer is “No”.

2. Fallen angels cannot repent. The knowledge of God of all the angels before the test was so thorough and complete (as much as can be without the Beatific Vision), and their nature is so simple, not having a body or brain and all the complexity of being part matter and part spirit, that when they decided to reject worshipping Christ, it was a very grave sin, committed with particularly full deliberation and particularly full knowledge. It was a sin with greater fullness than an actual mortal sin committed by a human person. This rejection of God was so complete that God does not permit the possibility of repentance and conversion and subsequent salvation for devils, and they themselves do not want to repent in the least; nothing in them even tugs gently in the general direction of repentance by grace and will.

3. the future

3. Jeff says:

I have seen this a few times: if a husband and wife are married, and years later the wife comes out as bisexual, what is the recourse of the husband? Suppose the wife wants to have a girlfriend outside of the marriage Union (and not involved with her husband,) thereby acting on her urges, what should he do? Should he accept that his wife is who she is as created by God while advising her not to act on her urges? Or should he seek to end the marriage because her behavior is evil? What is his best path in the interest of his own salvation, as she has placed her own salvation in question…

Any sexual acts outside of marriage, whether heterosexual or homosexual, are gravely immoral; it is adultery. So he cannot accept this behavior. If she is merely attracted to women, but does not act on it, they should continue in their marriage. God is not the author of any grave sins.

If she repeatedly commits adultery, especially if she refuses to even try to be faithful, then he can obtain a civil divorce:
      {Mt 5:32} But I say to you, that anyone who will have dismissed his wife, except in the case of fornication, causes her to commit adultery….

The case of “fornication” in the broad sense justifies divorce with the bond of the Sacrament remaining.

4. Thomas Mazanec says:

A soldier Smith and a soldier Jones are in Iraq or Afganistan. They are involved in an ied explosion. Jones is killed and Smith wounded and left with amnesia. He is captured. Several years later he regains his memory and is eventually released.
    In the meantime Jones’ remains have been misidentified as Smith’s. His wife, thinking she is a widow, remarries and has a baby.
    Was the second marriage adulterous and the baby illegitimate? What is the situation when the first husband returns?
    Yeah, this seems a bit far-fetched but I expect the scenario had occurred in the twenty centuries of the Church somewhere at sometime.

Since the wife did not know that her husband was alive, no intrinsically evil act or grave sin was committed. The child is not illegitimate. The second marriage is not valid. When the supposedly-deceased husband returns, the Church would have to decide the issue. But I don’t believe the wife could remain with the second husband, unless they live as brother and sister, remaining together for the sake of the child. Whether she could even return to the first husband is unclear.

5. Vít Lacman says:

How would a God judge a woman who because of her dire financial situation or because she cannot feed her baby becomes a prostitute.

The sins in question are intrinsically evil and always gravely immoral. This would be like the case of the woman caught in adultery. Christ would be forgiving and understanding, but actual mortal sin is only forgiven with repentance, just as the Church teaches.
      [John]
      {8:3} Now the scribes and Pharisees brought forward a woman caught in adultery, and they stood her in front of them.
      {8:4} And they said to him: “Teacher, this woman was just now caught in adultery.
      {8:5} And in the law, Moses commanded us to stone such a one. Therefore, what do you say?”
      {8:6} But they were saying this to test him, so that they might be able to accuse him. Then Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the earth.
      {8:7} And then, when they persevered in questioning him, he stood upright and said to them, “Let whoever is without sin among you be the first to cast a stone at her.”
      {8:8} And bending down again, he wrote on the earth.
      {8:9} But upon hearing this, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest. And Jesus alone remained, with the woman standing in front of him.
      {8:10} Then Jesus, raising himself up, said to her: “Woman, where are those who accused you? Has no one condemned you?”
      {8:11} And she said, “No one, Lord.” Then Jesus said: “Neither will I condemn you. Go, and now do not choose to sin anymore.”
      {8:12} Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying: “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me does not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”

6. Barbara says:

Mr Conte ,how much responsibility do we have for others actions ? If say we know a person has gained a benefit dishonestly do we under pain of sin have to report them to the authorities ?

Each person is responsible for their own decisions and sins. We are not obligated, in every case, to report sins or crimes to the authorities. It depends on the circumstances. Grave crimes, especially when other persons continue to be in danger of grave harm, should generally be reported. I would not generally recommend reporting someone who merely obtained a benefit dishonestly. We are not judges or law enforcement officers over our neighbors.

• Thomas Mazanec says:

We are not judges or law enforcement officers over our neighbors.

THANK GOD!

7. A Recent Reader says:

Dear Mr. Conte,

I am the only remaining male of my original immediate-family, my father having passed away some years back, now.  I-in my sixties, my mother, and elder sister remain.  My grandparents have all passed away as well.

My parents, baptized non-catholics, divorced early-on, and my mother never remarried.  My sister has never been married.  We all live under our own separate rooves.  My sister and I are unbaptized.

Do I have a particular responsibility, as the eldest male, for seeing-to their spiritual and/or temporal well-being?

Thank you so much.

Your first responsibility is to your own salvation and holiness. So you must be baptized. If you can convince your sister or other non-baptized family members to join you in the process toward baptism, that would be good. But attend to your own salvation first. Then you can take the role of encouraging others along the path of salvation. However, you do not have authority over them as the “eldest male”.

• A Recent Reader says:

Regarding your main point, I want to mention- You might recall that I recently asked your advice about how to approach the Church for the first time, locally. I put your advice to use, and I’m so blessed and happy to be able to say that yesterday I was accepted into the RCIA program at the Church most central to my daily range of movement. It starts next week.

Related to the second point, please, do I have a responsibility to do certain types of authoritative prayer in reference to them?

Thank you.

You have the responsibility to pray for persons in your family, in your life, as well as in the Church, and persons in need in general. I don’t think it is authoritative.

I’m happy to hear you are in RCIA! Good luck with everything.

• A Recent Reader says:

Thank you!

8. Marvin says:

A Blessed Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mr. Ronald Conte,

I have two important questions in regards to sacred places used inside the Catholic Church and Church leadership.

1. Is it okay to have yoga classes along with Hindu chanting inside a Catholic church? This happened at Saint James Catholic Church in Antwerp, Belgium.

2. Can a laity be able to run a Catholic parish without the pastor? Can the laity be the leader of a parish, calling themselves equal with the pastor?This happened in the parish of St. Martin in Illnau-Effretikon, Switzerland. A woman who is called church leader also concelebrate the mass along with two priest and one deacon.

I greatly appreciate your time and God Bless.

1. Catholic churches are sanctuaries, which should not be used for secular purposes, nor for other religions. There should not be yoga classes in the sanctuary, nor should there be Hindu chanting anywhere on parish property. The parish should not sponsor such activities.

2. Lay persons and deacons cannot concelebrate the Mass. A layperson or a deacon cannot be equal to the priest who is pastor of the parish church. A parish that lacks a priest, and maybe only has a visiting priest to say Mass on Sundays, can have a lay parish administrator. But that role does not include any priestly tasks, such as teaching, preaching, or administering the Sacraments. Certainly, a lay person can never celebrate or concelebrate Mass.

• Marvin says:

Thank you, Mr. Ronald Conte for the clear and thorough answer. I greatly appreciate it.
      God bless you!

• Thomas Mazanec says:

In my Parish (SS. Cosmas and Damian in Twinsburg, Ohio) we have had prayer services by the deacon when a priest is not available for the weekday morning Masses.

9. A Recent Reader says:

I apologize for another comment, but I realized that I didn’t word my question correctly. If it makes a difference, I should have asked about protective prayer, not authoritative (or maybe this distinction of “eldest male” is simply irrelevant in this context either way):

Do I have a responsibility to do certain types of protective prayer (or any other spiritually-related activity) in reference to my remaining immediate family?

10. A Recent Reader says:

Thank you for the very helpful answer.