Article Update regarding Pope Francis

See the UPDATE notice here.

I previously posted on an article at OnePeterFive which had claimed that Pope Francis might be possessed by Satan. The author of that article has repented and withdrawn his claim and his article. It has been removed from OnePeterFive.

11 Responses to Article Update regarding Pope Francis

1. C20alacv says:

Dear Ron
    Could you please comment for me on these parts of sermon from st. John Vianney. When I read it, it scared the life out of me. Is st. John actually right? He seems to be right in four conditions for true contrition: interior, supernatural, supreme, universal. Please respond to me. It would be a great help.

“O my friends, and see how rare such a repentance is. Alas, it is as scarce as a good confession! Yes, my brethren, a Christian who has sinned and wishes to obtain pardon, must be so minded that he would rather suffer the most cruel tortures than fall back into the sin which he has just confessed.”

“O, my God, how many Christians there are who will discover at the hour of their death nothing but invalid confessions! But I will not go further into this matter, for fear that I may frighten you, and you ought really to be brought to the verge of despair, so that you may stop immediately, and improve your condition right now, instead of waiting until that moment when you will recognise your condition, and when it will be too late to improve it. But let us continue with our explanation, and you will soon learn, my brethren, whether you had the repentance in all your confessions, which is so absolutely necessary for the forgiveness of sin.”

“The third quality of repentance is that it must be unlimited, that is, the anguish it calls forth must be greater than any other sorrow, as, for instance, at the loss of our parents, or our health, or in general at the loss of anything that is dearest to us in this life.”

First of all, stop reading material from the heretical and schismatic group called SSPX. They are not a reliable source on the Catholic faith, as they have departed from communion with the successors of Peter and the successors of the other Apostles.

No, those quotes are not correct. I don’t know if those are really from the Saint, but in any case, that is not what the Church teaches. The teachings of Jesus our Lord do not scare the life out of people. Either those quotes are not from St. John Vianney, or they are misrepresenting his views, or he is simply wrong. In any case, follow the teachings of the Church. Saints can be mistaken.

• C20alacv says:

I don’t read material from this site. I was searching for this sermon. I have found parts of this sermon on other websites. Are you sure st. John is wrong? He is after all a saint a was known as a great confessor? Do you know of any infallible church document, that would precisely deal with confession/sorrow/contrition, (other than RECONCILIATION AND PENANCE).

Even the noninfallible teaching of the Magisterium is above the opinions of Saints. Yes, I am sure he is wrong. It is an extreme view which does not accord with the teachings of the Church on the subject.

• MichaelT says:

The Council of Trent (Sess. XIV, Chap. iv) has defined contrition as “sorrow of soul, and a hatred of sin committed, with a firm purpose of not sinning in the future”. This hatred of sin may arise from various motives, may be prompted by various causes. If the detestation of sin arise from the love of God, Who has been grievously offended, then contrition is termed perfect; if it arise from any other motive, such as loss of heaven, fear of hell, or the heinousness of guilt, then it is termed imperfect contrition, or attrition.

“And as to that imperfect contrition which is called attrition, because it is commonly conceived either from the consideration of the turpitude of sin, or from the fear of hell and of punishment, the council declares that if with the hope of pardon, it excludes the wish to sin, it not only does not make man a hypocrite and a greater sinner, but that it is even a gift of God, and an impulse of the Holy Spirit, who does not indeed as yet dwell in the penitent, but who only moves him; whereby the penitent, being assisted, prepares a way for himself unto justice, and although this attrition cannot of itself, without the Sacrament of Penance, conduct the sinner to justification, yet does it dispose him to receive the grace of God in the Sacrament of Penance.”

• C20alacv says:

NOTE: I wrote this reply yesterday, but from some reason it didn’t show up on your blog. If you were just preparing your reply, ignore this comment.

[deleted by Ron Conte]

And could you please point me to any infallible church document, that would precisely deal with confession/sorrow/contrition, if you know of any.

I will not entertain any further arguments of this type, where you claim that an extreme heroic level of virtue is needed to be truly contrite and therefore to be forgiven. And you are ignoring my previous answer, that the non-infallible teaching of the Magisterium is above the opinions of Saints. It is wrong to say that you will continue to hold this error, which is contrary to ordinary Church teaching, unless I present an infallible teaching to the contrary.

Saints sometimes propose an heroic degree of virtue, such as to prefer death to a single venial sin. But it is a grave error that endangers souls to say that one cannot truly be contrite and therefore cannot be forgiven without that perfect level of virtue.

Venial sin is forgiven by the devout reception of a single “Our Father” prayer. Actual mortal sin — grave matter, full knowledge of the grave immorality of the act, full consent of the will (full deliberation) — is forgiven by Confession and at least imperfect contrition where one wishes to avoid Hell and is resolved to try to avoid grave sins in the future.

The resolution “not to sin again” means we will try to avoid every grave sin, and also try to avoid venial sin as much as possible. We can never in this life be free from every venial sin, not without a special grave from God as in the case of the Virgin Mary. It is not a resolution to be sinless, but rather a resolution to strive to avoid sin.

2. MichaelT says:

I’m heartened and gratified to learn of the author’s change of heart . Many thanks for your valiant efforts Ron.

3. PJ says:

Interesting! If you remember, I commented here on my puzzlement about that article. It wasn’t so much about the accusation against Pope Francis; Taylor Marshall and others have been blithering along the same lines about demonic infiltration for ages. I was puzzled that anyone who is convinced that the accusation is true would remain in the Church, since by logical extension they would belong to a Church headed on Earth by Satan.
    I am glad that Mr. Toner contacted you, as your post was the only refutation of his post that I saw. You wrote it with your usual erudition and thoroughness, and published it very promptly, so I was able to recommend it to others. Thanks as always for your hard work.

4. Matt Z. says:

I always question when people question the patrimony of the Saints. Maybe further investigation and the full context of the writing needs to be taken of St.John Vianney’s work on repentance before saying he is wrong. His motive is to definitely move one to true contrition which requires the grace of God and is necessary for a valid confession. In general, there is no sin or no wrong in saying that one should prefer bodily death than to commit one fully deliberate venial sin, this has been stated by many saints.

It is not required for true contrition and forgiveness that one prefer death to a single venial sin. The call to perfection in holiness should not be mistaken for a minimum needed to be saved or to be forgiven.