Everything the Pope says and does is immediately known throughout the world. The pride-filled “faithful” feel free to judge his every word and deed, as well as to judge every other Pope and every Ecumenical Council. Nothing can be taught without some internet commentator opining that the Pope is wrong, the Council was “unsuccessful” and its teachings are “pastoral” and non-binding anyway, and so on. And at the same time, subcultures have developed whose every opinion is presented as dogma. Then a myriad of cults of personality have risen up on video channels and blogs and other internet offerings. Any Catholic who wishes to begins teaching Catholicism online, and saying whatever they like. And if the Pope disagrees he will be treated with astounding contempt and derision. Fr. Z. even sells “swag” ridiculing the Roman Pontiff.
This behavior is destroying the faith of the little ones, of those who are weak in faith or who lack the knowledge to defend their own minds and hearts against this vast army of heretical and schismatics wasps. They consider themselves to be so very faithful and holy, and they cannot see that they are like the Pharisee praying in the temple; they cannot see that they are openly schismatic and heretical.
1. Define that every definitive teaching on faith or morals of every Pope and every Council, including Vatican II, is dogma: not only formal definitions, but every definitive teaching.
2. Rule that the faithful who express treat Popes, Councils, or the body of Bishops with contempt, ridicule, malice, disdain or the like are excommunicated, and the faithful are forbidden from supporting them in any way.
3. Enact laws of the Church enforcing the prohibition against refusal of belief, refusal of submission, and any acts of animosity against Popes, Councils, and Bishops, with denial of Communion and expulsion from Catholic institutions as penalty.
4. Define that the non-infallible teachings of the Church require the religious assent of mind and will. And then rule on the manner and extent to which the faithful might propose a different position, with submission to the Magisterium and without certitude that one is right.
5. Instruct the faithful of the harm that they do by misuse of the internet, by support of anyone who attacks any Pope or Council, and give them a clear set of guidance on using the internet.
6. Anathema all who refuse to fully accept Vatican II, including all who accuse the Council of gravely harming the Church. Anathema all who refuse to accept every definitive teaching of Pope Francis and every other Pope.
7. Define, against, that every Pope has the charism of truth and never failing faith, and that therefore no Pope can commit apostasy, heresy, or idolatry, nor can any Pope or Council err gravely in doctrine or discipline.
8. Define the full extent of indefectibility of the Church, of the Pope, and of the body of Bishops led by the Pope, including that nothing decided by the Church on doctrine or discipline can err gravely.
9. Define the authority of the Church over the Mass, that the TLM shall remain as a “family heirloom” for the faithful; that the unfaithful shall be forbidden from celebrating or attending the TLM; and that the Novus Ordo will be retained, improved, and declared to be free from grave errors when celebrated according to Church discipline. Hymns at Mass should require approval from the Church. Secular elements should be prohibited from Mass, along with any other departures from the liturgy approved by Church authority.
The problem is not so much the internet, which is used by the Holy See, the Bishops, the parishes, and the religious orders; the problem is the misuse of the internet by those who are so filled with pride that they think themselves fit to judge Popes and Councils.
What credentials does a Catholic need to defend the Popes and Councils? Baptism.
What credentials does a Catholic need to judge a Pope or Council to have erred gravely on doctrine or discipline? One thousand Ph.D.s would not suffice. But as it turns out, many of the most prominent accusers of Popes and Councils have no training in theology. They have simply judged themselves to be more faithful than the Pope, more Catholic that the Pope, and more knowledgeable than the Popes, Councils and body of Bishops. Pride seems to be the only credential needed here.
A day of reckoning is coming soon for those who reject Vatican II, those who judge and accuse Popes, and it will be just as it always has been, an Ecumenical Council with anathema all the heretics and schismatics, and the faithful will continue on the right course.