Briefly, what this all does to the Latin Mass and their communities:
* TLM communities will be transitioned to the Novus Ordo.
* new priests will need permission from the Pope to say the TLM
* Bishops can restrict the TLM as much as they like
* Bishops can determine these communities are not spiritually healthy and shut them down
* the TLM is not to be said in parish churches, nor are new TLM parishes to be set up
* the TLM must use the vernacular Bible readings from the Novus Ordo texts
* TLM communities which oppose the Novus Ordo or Vatican II or Pope Francis can be denied the Latin Mass and shut down
* the TLM will be restricted to only certain places and certain days approved by the Bishop
* new TLM communities are not to be established
* seminarians are to be trained in the Novus Ordo.
* the Bishop chooses which priests may say the TLM
* priests who have been saying the TLM need new permission from the Bishop
* there is no right to say the TLM; permission is always needed
* FSSP and similar groups seem to have permission to continue, for now.
* The Pope want the TLM gone. He wants one Rite for the Roman Church: the unity of one, single Rite, in which is preserved the great richness of the Roman liturgical tradition.
It’s “worse” — I would say better — than anyone anticipated. The supposed leaks from the Vatican were not accurate. This is a total declaration of war against the traditionalist communities who thought they could claim to be Catholic while rejecting the Novus Ordo Mass, Vatican II, Pope Francis, and even the recent Pope Saints. This is the battle plan of Pope Francis against his worst critics, those who have claimed for themselves the right to decide what is and is not true doctrine and good discipline.
Francis holds the Keys of Peter. He has closed and locked a door, and no one can open it.
More than a few adherents of the TLM are innocent in this dispute. They have not rejected the Second Vatican Council. They have not rejected Pope Francis. They are not in a state of heresy or schism. But a large portion of attendees at TLMs and most of the traditionalist leaders are really in a state of heresy and schism. And they use the TLM as a way to gather supporters to oppose the Magisterium.
I’m sincerely sorry to those faithful Catholics who love the traditional Latin Mass and who have not committed any of the offenses that caused this action by the Roman Pontiff. It is like when a religious order is suppressed. The suppression is due to the failings of many members, but more than a few are innocent. Even so, the Pope has to do what is best for the whole Church.
Ronald L. Conte Jr.