Catholic Theology Questions and Answers

Ask a question in the comments.

20 Responses to Catholic Theology Questions and Answers

1. Alex says:

Is there any theological problem with the existence of life anywhere in the Universe (200 bln galaxies with average 200 bln stars each)? And if the theological answer is No, then why it happens that many devote people often demonize the possibility of existence of such life created by God, and by doing so they apparently believe they serve God and fight the demons? Is there a definitive teaching of the Church on that matter, or all we have are several interviews of prelates in the last decades, including of pope Francis himself?

There’s no definitive teaching. Some persons cite:
      {John 10:16} And I have other sheep that are not of this fold, and I must lead them. They shall hear my voice, and there shall be one sheepfold and one shepherd.
      It may well be the case that there is intelligent life in many places in the universe. They could be saved by implicit baptism of desire and reason detecting natural law.

2. Sunimal Fernando says:

1.Communism already started the persecution. Do you agree or not?
    They created a bio weapon called corona.
    Human Freedom can be controlled. Social media could be restricted.
    2.God doesn’t like the communism? Why?
    3.Request all to pray against this evil actions.

the warning from Mary about Communism is not only political Communism, which denies God and denies human rights, but also spiritual communism, in which the authority of the Church is denied and replaced with the will of the people, esp. in a subculture like conservatives or traditionalists who reject Popes and Councils in favor of their own understanding.

Coronavirus is not a bioweapon.

3. Matt Z. says:

Hi Ron!

Its funny becuase I usually think of questions to ask you when for instance Im cooking dinner and then by the time you put up a Q and A I forget the question I wanted to ask. Im going to have to start writing my questions down immediately! But today I watched this video below of Cardinal Arinze where he states that to miss just one mass out of laziness is a mortal sin against the 3rd Commandment. I have not heard otherwise by any theologians except you when in one of your posts you say:

“(2) The same Catholic misses Mass on one occasion for little or no reason. He oversleeps, or he does not feel motivated to attend Mass, or he has a social event he wishes to attend, or he wishes to watch a sports event. His reason for missing Mass is not a just reason; these and other similar reasons lack sufficient moral weight. His failure to attend Mass on such an occasion is a venial sin.”

Is your theological view different from the majority of theologians and prelates?

When praying for a Saints intercession on a particular matter, should the prayer end with “I ask this through Jesus Christ, our Lord, Amen?”

5. ddd says:

Does the Real Presence dwell within the Eucharist of the Orthodox Catholics?
    Can a Roman Catholic attend their Mass, and Confess with them freely?

The Orthodox have seven valid Sacraments. Catholics may not freely receive Confession or Communion from them, as they are schismatics and heretics. We must keep separate from them, due to the risk of grave scandal. A grave reason would be needed to receive Sacraments from them.

A Catholic Priest in one of the youtube videos on the Sensus Fidelium channel stated that Catholic parents should not attend their Catholic children’s civil wedding outside the Catholic Church. He said that the civil marriage is invalid (considered living in sin) and that the parents by attending the civil wedding are committing a grave mortal sin. The Priest stated that God is first, no matter how painful the rupture will be within the family. He said lastly that the parents should offer the sorrow and sufferings to God for the conversion of their child to return to the Catholic faith for the rest of their lives.

The situation could be even worse if one parent refuses to attend and the other parent attends, as the rift within the family could be extreme.

Is this accurate of what the Priest stated? Also what should the one parent that does not attend do at home if the other parent attends? I can’t imagine how much more painful home life will be afterwards for that one parent that did not attend and the spouse that did attend the civil wedding.

The priest is wrong. The decision to attend or not attend an invalid wedding ceremony is not intrinsically evil, so it depends on intention and circumstances. It would generally be better to attend, and therefore avoid grieving family or friends — allowing you to remain in their lives as a good example to them. The fact that someone else may be sinning gravely, perhaps only objectively, does not bind your decision.

• Thomas Mazanec says:

An elderly Monsigneur visiting my Parish once preached this.

7. Thomas Mazanec says:

Also, my childhood pastor told me not to attend my older cousin’s wedding when I thought it was invalid (long story). He was very disappointed when I let my father drag me to it.
    He also was a Monsigneur.

Intention, Object, Circumstances. Attending an invalid wedding is not intrinsically evil, so it depends on intention and circumstances.

8. ddd says:

I am so glad to hear Ron’s opinion on attending these weddings. The priests advising against it don’t seem to understand that Christ ate with sinners. But more important, the reality of the situation is that cohabitation is so accepted and so common that the family should be overjoyed they are making any commitments at all. IMHO, this harshness is similar to the situation with the divorced and remarried taking the Eucharist. People can’t imagine how much conflicting advice people may have gotten along the way, having false understandings that were never their fault, how complicated or painful the result is, and how hungry they are for Christ to partner with them and lead them out of their own personal quagmires. Sorry to go on a tangent, but it is far too easy to imagine that people are trying to cheat or take the easy route. Thanks.

9. Thomas Mazanec says:

Not theology, but what are your expectations for Covid-19 over the next twelve months?

There are still many nations where Covid-19 is in full swing. Many more deaths will follow. I am hoping for the Warning and Miracle of Garabandal in 2022. That could put an end to Covid-19. The world is also in for some religious turmoil. I expect July 2021 to see an increase in the schism. That may be the month that Francis restricts the Latin Mass. Even if he only restricts it in limited ways, I think the traditionalists will overreact and accuse him of apostasy. It may cause the departure from communion with the Bishops and their dioceses by traditionalists.

I still think Francis will ordain women deacons, relatively soon. That may happen in September, as Saint Phoebe, deaconess, has her feast day on September 3rd.

10. Matt Z. says:

What is the Churchs teaching on cohabitation? From what I understand the Church has always taught it as sinful for 2 people to live together before they are married.

Cohabitation means living together with sexual activity. It is not necessarily wrong to live under the same roof with someone you are dating.