1. God does choose each and every valid Roman Pontiff. The so-called “bad popes” were chosen by God no less than the Pope-Saints, for reasons known well to the ineffable wisdom of God, and known by us poor fallen sinners partially, weakly, “through a glass darkly”.
2. The Church is indefectible. The Church, as an institution both human and divine, is indefectible in Her totality, including the human and institutional aspects of the Church. She can never go astray, lead astray, or fail.
3. Each Pope accepted by the body of Bishops as Roman Pontiff is certainly valid, as the body cannot follow a false head and remain indefectible.
4. Each valid Pope has the gift of truth, so that his infallible teachings and proclamation of dogmatic facts have complete immunity from error, and his non-infallible decisions of doctrine and discipline have immunity from grave error.
5. Each valid Pope has the gift of a never failing faith, so that, by the prevenient grace of God, which no one can resist, he can never commit apostasy, heresy, schism, idolatry, nor any other grave failure of faith.
6. Once a Roman Pontiff is the valid Pope, he can never lose validity in any way at any time, and his pontificate ends only with his death or valid resignation.
7. The body of Bishops possesses this same charism of truth and never failing faith, but only as a body, not as individuals.
8. The Church, the Pope, and the body of Bishops are each and all indefectible, and none can ever fail, go astray, or lead astray.
9. No valid Pope has ever been guilty of teaching grave error, nor of failing gravely in faith. No Pope has ever been guilty of apostasy, heresy, or idolatry. And this dogmatic fact is confirmed by the teaching of the First Vatican Council, Pastor Aeternus, 4:7.
10. Those Catholics who accuse Pope Francis of teaching grave error, or of committing apostasy, heresy, or idolatry, are themselves guilty of heresy, schism, and grave errors of doctrine.
Ronald L Conte Jr