Ask a Catholic theologian

This is the new Q&A post.

BTW, my account at CAF is no longer suspended “until September 14th”, it is suspended indefinitely. No reason given.

I tried to contact CAF by replying to the email I received, but it is one of those no-reply addresses. They can talk to you, but you can’t talk to them.

Gallery | This entry was posted in commentary. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Ask a Catholic theologian

1. Spocky Ramone says:

Power is intoxicating

I’ve heard of email services also shutting down users based on viewpoint discrimination. I don’t think I’m in violation of any WP terms of service. I have a twitter account and a Gab.ai account. I think there are a handful of corporate leaders who control who gets to express themselves on the internet, and who cannot.

2. Dora says:

Here is my theological question… If we have a Vatican and the Papacy, wouldn’t these be inconsistent with the principal of subsidiarity? Of course, Christ himself called for the Papacy.

In the Church, the principle of subsidiarity (decisions being made at the lowest level of the organization) means that the faithful follow their own conscience, formed in accord with Church teaching; that the faithful participate in finding new insights into the deposit of faith; that the Church cannot extend Her authority beyond teaching and limited discipline — we choose freely between the many different good acts that are available to us. There are limits to the Church’s authority. But sin is never justified by subsidiarity or any other principle.

3. John says:

The Catechism states that a person with mortal sins can obtain salvation by perfect contrition (love of God and sorry for offending God) with intent to go to Sacrament of Reconciliation as soon as possible. An imperfect contrition (fear of hell – self love) is not enough for salvation unless you go to Sacrament of Reconciliation. My understanding is that it is hard to have perfect contrition but it is not impossible. In circumstances where one’s life is in imminent danger, i.e. war, plane is crashing, active terrorist shooter, and you fear you may die, and you have unrepentant mortal sins, and you are crying “God save me”, or “I am sorry God”, or “save me from Hell”, are imperfect prayers, and you will be condemned to hell. What about actual sudden deaths, i.e. fatal car accidents, fatal heart attacks and strokes, sudden death due to freak accidents (I estimate a million people a year total), where a person, with unrepentant mortal sins, does not even have a second to ponder perfect contrition. I don’t know if I am being scrupulous in my analysis and should walk around with fear all the time and run to confession first thing I commit a mortal sin. Catechism states that one must confess mortal sins at least once a year. Maybe the Catechism should state one must immediately confess mortal sins as sudden or unexpected death can occur otherwise you will be condemned to Hell.

You should read my book: Forgiveness and Salvation for Everyone. It explains who is saved and how. It is not hard to have perfect contrition. And that type of contrition can be motivated by love of neighbor.

• Marco says:

@John

“What about actual sudden deaths, i.e. fatal car accidents, fatal heart attacks and strokes, sudden death due to freak accidents (I estimate a million people a year total), where a person, with unrepentant mortal sins, does not even have a second to ponder perfect contrition.”

Read this https://ronconte.wordpress.com/2018/08/07/could-pope-francis-be-wrong-on-the-death-penalty/#comment-6988

Remember, God is not a respecter of person, He doesn’t roll a dice, making sure that a genocidial monster has time to repent and a common weak sinner gets condemned to everlasting suffering because he wasn’t given enough time.

That’s an unfair view about God.

• Marco says:

@John

I have just read this comment from Ron https://ronconte.wordpress.com/2018/08/11/catholic-theology-qa/comment-page-2/#comment-7096

“death is the separation of body and soul. The two are either united or divided, so it is instantaneous. However, separation of the soul from the body MIGHT NOT OCCUR AS SOON AS THE HEART STOPS (clinical death). It might not be readily apparent when that moment is.”

Which summarizes the whole problem. For sure, we don’t have to fall into presumption, God forbid, but thinking that God is unfair or that he is a sort of Calvinistic deity is far from the truth.

We should all pray the chapter of divine Mercy daily, expecially for those who are dying, it is a great help for their souls.

Remember what Jesus promised

“The souls that say this chaplet will be embraced by My mercy during their lifetime and especially at the hour of their death.” (Diary, 754)

“When hardened sinners say it, I will fill their souls with peace, and the hour of their death will be a happy one.” (Diary, 1541)

“When they say this chaplet in the presence of the dying, I will stand between My Father and the dying person, not as a just Judge but as a merciful Savior.” (Diary, 1541)

This applies even to dying persons who are far away from us.

Remember that we have a great responsibility, we have to help other people to find salvation, the Holy Virgin highlighted this concept very clearly in the apparitions of Fatima.

My humble suggestion is : cast your scruples away and entrust yourself and your loved ones to the mercy of God. This suggestion comes from someone who has been struggling with scrupolosity his entire life.