1. According to the laws of the Roman Catholic Church, any Catholic who commits apostasy, formal heresy, or formal schism is automatically excommunicated from the Church.
Canon 751: “Heresy is the obstinate denial or obstinate doubt after the reception of baptism of some truth which is to be believed by divine and Catholic faith; apostasy is the total repudiation of the Christian faith; schism is the refusal of submission to the Supreme Pontiff or of communion with the members of the Church subject to him.”
Canon 1364 §1: “an apostate from the faith, a heretic, or a schismatic incurs a latae sententiae excommunication.”
Formal schism occurs when a Catholic rejects the proper authority of the Pope over the universal Church and/or over himself or herself as a Catholic Christian. This “refusal of submission to the Supreme Pontiff” can take various forms, including the false claim that the current validly-elected Roman Pontiff is not the true Pope, or that the current Pope for some reason lacks the authentic full authority, over doctrine and discipline, of every successor of Saint Peter.
Formal heresy occurs when a Catholic obstinately denies or obstinately doubts some infallible teaching of the Roman Catholic Magisterium. This rejection of a required belief can take various forms, including adhering to a condemned heresy, or rejecting an infallible teaching of a Pope, or Ecumenical Council, or the ordinary and universal Magisterium.
2. The claimed visionary who calls herself Maria Divine Mercy teaches a number of heresies through her alleged messages:
* the heresy of millenarianism
* the heresy of denying that the Church is indefectible
* the heresy of Sola Scriptura (rejecting both Tradition and Magisterium)
* the heresy of rejecting the teachings of the First Vatican Council on faith and reason
* the heresy of claiming killing is only moral in self-defense, and not also in the death penalty and in just war
* the heresy of claiming that a special prayer can save someone who dies unrepentant from actual mortal sin
— as well as many doctrinal errors that fall short of heresy.
By adhering to her own heretical claims, with no regard for Magisterium teachings to the contrary, and with an explicit rejection of the current Roman Pontiff (Pope Francis) as Teacher of the Church, Maria Divine Mercy has committed the mortal sin of formal heresy. Under Canon Law, she is automatically excommunicated. No ruling or document or statement from Church authority is needed in this type of case, for the excommunication is automatic.
3. Maria Divine Mercy is also automatically excommunicated for the sin of formal schism. For she has publicly repeatedly declared that Pope Francis is an “imposter” and that Pope Benedict XVI was the last true Pope on earth.
Her messages refer to the Pope after Pope Benedict XVI, Pope Francis, as: “imposter”, “the beast”, “the new false Pope”, “the False Prophet”, and “a dictator of lies” who is “in league with the anti-christ”. Her messages claim that “They will declare that the false prophet will be the true Pope”. And she specifically says that is will be the next Pope after Pope Benedict XVI: “the next Pope, who comes after My beloved Vicar Pope Benedict. This Pope may be elected by members within the Catholic Church but he will be the False Prophet. His electors are wolves in sheep’s clothing and are members of the secret Masonic and evil group led by Satan.”
See my post: Should you reject the Pope?
By this extreme rejection of Pope Francis as the true Vicar of Christ, the true successor of Saint Peter, and the true Roman Pontiff, Maria Divine Mercy has committed the mortal sin of formal schism. Under Canon Law, she is automatically excommunicated. No ruling or document or statement from Church authority is needed in this type of case, for the excommunication is automatic.
4. Every follower of the messages of Maria Divine Mercy (found on the website http://www.thewarningsecondcoming.com and in her so-called Book of Truth) who deliberately chooses to adhere to any one or more of the heresies taught by those messages, while understanding that these heresies are contrary to the definitive teaching of the Church, also commits formal heresy and is thereby automatically excommunicated.
But perhaps the most common heresy, chosen and held deliberately and knowingly by the followers of Maria Divine Mercy, is this: to believe whatever her messages teach, with no regard for any contrary teachings of the Roman Catholic Magisterium and the Pope. In other words, they commit the heresy of rejecting the Church as their Teacher, substituting all that Maria Divine Mercy teaches in its place. This rejection of the Church as Teacher is an abject heresy, and one that a Catholic cannot commit by a mere misunderstanding of doctrine. If you call yourself “Catholic”, but you never accept anything taught by the Church or the Pope if it is contrary to the messages of Maria Divine Mercy, then you have committed deliberate severe formal heresy, and a mortal sin, and you are automatically excommunicated from the one true Church.
5. Every follower of the messages of Maria Divine Mercy who chooses to believe the claims made by her messages about the successor of Pope Benedict XVI, Pope Francis — that he is not the true Pope, not the valid successor of Pope Benedict XVI, and not the true Vicar of Christ and Head of the Church on earth — thereby commits the mortal sin of formal schism and is thereby automatically excommunicated from the one true Church.
Maria Divine Mercy is leading many souls away from the Church, so that they believe no one but her and follow no one but her. She is essentially offering herself as a replacement for the Pope and her messages as a replacement for the teachings of the Magisterium.