Weekend Q and A again

I’m opening up this post to general questions on Catholic theology, including topics of faith, morals, and salvation. Also, readers may ask me questions on any of my writings in theology, including eschatology (the end times).

This entry was posted in theology. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Weekend Q and A again

1. doug says:

hi my name is doug. i came across your web site in my search for the manuscripts of the councils of toulouse and tarragona. perhaps you might help. did these manuscripts survive, and if so, could you send me a link? thanks much.

2. jbbt9 says:

Ron
    I believe that women priests cannot happen in the Catholic Church.
    I think I recall Pope Benedict 16th saying that the Catholic Church simply does not have it in it’s power to ordain a woman priest. (I know that they can ordain a woman deacon but I am only discussing women priests here). So, it will never validly happen.

A Catholic (female) has asked me to explain the Church’s position on this subject and to show the Scriptural basis for it.

I know that CCC1577 teaches on this matter. Could this teaching be changed in a later version of the catechism or is it a matter of infallibility based upon Tradition.

Pope John Paul II decided the matter, infallibly, in his Apostolic Letter “Ordinatio Sacerdotalis
      (On Reserving Priestly Ordination To Men Alone)

The basis for the teaching in Tradition and Scripture is described earlier in the document, and then the Pope proclaims the doctrine:

“4. Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church’s divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful.”

In my view, this teaching falls under papal infallibility, since it meets all of the conditions set by Vatican I for an ex cathedra teaching of the Pope. The teaching cannot be changed. Christ did not give His Church the authority (nor the ability) to ordain women to the priesthood.

Of course, once Christ returns, it is possible that He might give the Church that authority. But until He returns, the Church is unable to validly ordain women priests or women Bishops.

3. jbbt9 says:

Many thanks Ron.
    I keep you in prayer.
    God bless.

Ron,
    Why did you initially consider messages from Pedro Regis to be false?

I don’t recall ever saying that his messages were false.

• Matt says:

I searched and found this old post:

August 31, 2008, your post at Catholicplanet.net:

I’ve moved Pedro from the false list to the true list after reviewing his messages more closely today. There are a number of accurate eschatological comments within these messages, also there are many insightful comments on faith and morals.

Well, you answered my question. I thought there was something in the messages that initially led you to believe they were false.

5. pio sanchez says:

existe esta web en español si es sì por favor ayudame con la direcciòn mi correo electrònico es […]

Ron,
    If a Mass is held for the intentions of someone, say for someone’s dead relative or healing of their friend, but the person who arranged it has unrepentant mortal sins, does it still count?

If it is for a deceased person, it is only effective for that person in Purgatory; otherwise, God will apply the benefits to someone else in need. If it is for a person in this life with unrepentant mortal sins, God might offer additional help to that person to repent, or He might apply the benefit to someone else.