Pope Francis and the Tribulation

On Holy Thursday, at the Mass of the Lord’s Supper, Pope Francis washed and kissed the feet of men and women, of Christians and non-Christians. This act was a grace-filled and providential departure from the traditional practice. When Saint Mary Magdalene anointed and kissed the feet of Jesus, it was a symbolic act, to prepare for His Passion and Crucifixion.

[Luke]
{7:36} Then certain Pharisees petitioned him, so that they might eat with him. And he went into the house of the Pharisee, and he reclined at table.
{7:37} And behold, a woman who was in the city, a sinner, found out that he was reclining at table in the house of the Pharisee, so she brought an alabaster container of ointment.
{7:38} And standing behind him, beside his feet, she began to wash his feet with tears, and she wiped them with the hair of her head, and she kissed his feet, and she anointed them with ointment.
{7:39} Then the Pharisee, who had invited him, upon seeing this, spoke within himself, saying, “This man, if he were a prophet, would certainly know who and what kind of woman is this, who is touching him: that she is a sinner.”
{7:40} And in response, Jesus said to him, “Simon, I have something to say to you.” So he said, “Speak, Teacher.”
{7:41} “A certain creditor had two debtors: one owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty.
{7:42} And since they did not have the ability to repay him, he forgave them both. So then, which of them loves him more?”
{7:43} In response, Simon said, “I suppose that it is he to whom he forgave the most.” And he said to him, “You have judged correctly.”
{7:44} And turning to the woman, he said to Simon: “Do you see this woman? I entered into your house. You gave me no water for my feet. But she has washed my feet with tears, and has wiped them with her hair.
{7:45} You gave no kiss to me. But she, from the time that she entered, has not ceased to kiss my feet.
{7:46} You did not anoint my head with oil. But she has anointed my feet with ointment.
{7:47} Because of this, I tell you: many sins are forgiven her, because she has loved much. But he who is forgiven less, loves less.”
{7:48} Then he said to her, “Your sins are forgiven you.”
{7:49} And those who sat at table with him began to say within themselves, “Who is this, who even forgives sins?”
{7:50} Then he said to the woman: “Your faith has brought you salvation. Go in peace.”

Now the tribulation is figuratively a type of Passion and Crucifixion, a time of great suffering, both for the Church and the world. And so when the Pope departed from immemorial custom, by washing the feet of non-Christians and by kissing the feet of all 12 persons, it was a symbolic preparation for the tribulation, which afflicts both the Church and the world, both Christians and non-Christians.

In addition, the tribulation begins with an event termed the first horseman and the first seal. This event is a great war between Christians and Muslims. So when the Pope washed and kissed the feet of two Muslims, it was a preparation, under the grace and providence of God, specifically for the great suffering of that war. But the war afflicts Christians more severely than Muslims; also, there will be more Christians who are suffering innocently than Muslims who are suffering innocently. And so it was fitting that only 2 of the 12 were Muslims.

The Papal Seal includes an image of a spikenard flower.

This rare plant has long been used to prepare the ointment that is also called spikenard, which Mary Magdalene used to anoint the feet of Jesus to prepare for his burial.

[John 12]
{12:1} Then six days before the Passover, Jesus went to Bethania, where Lazarus had died, whom Jesus raised up.
{12:2} And they made a dinner for him there. And Martha was ministering. And truly, Lazarus was one of those who were sitting at table with him.
{12:3} And then Mary took twelve ounces of pure spikenard ointment, very precious, and she anointed the feet of Jesus, and she wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the ointment.
{12:4} Then one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was soon to betray him, said,
{12:5} “Why was this ointment not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the needy?”
{12:6} Now he said this, not out of concern for the needy, but because he was a thief and, since he held the purse, he used to carry what was put into it.
{12:7} But Jesus said: “Permit her, so that she may keep it against the day of my burial.
{12:8} For the poor, you have with you always. But me, you do always not have.”

So the Papal Seal also indicates that the tribulation is near. The spikenard flower calls to mind this preparation for the Crucifixion of Jesus. But the tribulation is the Crucifixion of the Church.

Is Pope Francis the long-prophesied Pope called Peter the Roman? Perhaps. But in any case, I believe that he is the Pope who reigns at the start of the tribulation.

by
Ronald L. Conte Jr.
Roman Catholic theologian and
translator of the Catholic Public Domain Version of the Bible.

This entry was posted in eschatology. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Pope Francis and the Tribulation

1. SR says:

I am so happy to have found your site. I have been reading these “Maria Divine Mercy” fortellings of the future and many more. They truly are getting on my last nerve! I do not know if it is them, or all of those who go about warning everyone and live life in such “doom” and “gloom.” I do not know if we are in the “tribulation” or not. We need to trust in God regardless of the time period we are in. Thanks for sharing and God Bless, SR

2. Mimi Lewis says:

Ron,
    Not sure if you’ve seen the following:
    Make sure you read the comment by Cardinal Comastri at the end.
    Blessings,
    ML

3. Mimi Lewis says:

Also, have you seen some of the latest messages to Pedro Regis? Quite a few refer to Peter, (3/5, 3/16, 3/17). Our Lady also says in message 3/9: “The agreement will cause great confusion.” Any idea what that would refer to?
    Peace,
    ML

message of 3/5/13: The Barque of St. Peter is going to flounder, and there is going to be great confusion. Peter is the secret: there is your answer.

interpretation: The Church will have great difficulty during the tribulation, which is about to begin. The great confusion will be caused by the great apostasy, those who depart from the Church will be greatly confused, and they will attempt to set up a competing false church.

message of 3/9: You are going toward a future of great spiritual confusion. Trust in Jesus. He is your All and only in Him is your victory. Do not be afraid. Listen to what I say to you. My Jesus is in control of everything. The agreement will cause great confusion. Where there is no fidelity, there is no truth. Do not permit anything to separate you from the truth. Whatever happens remain on the path I have shown you over the years. Courage. I am at your side even though you do not see me. Bend your knees in prayer on behalf of the Church.

interpretation: the agreement may refer to some type of unfaithful (no fidelity) agreement between some Church leaders and secular government, or it might refer to the false church set up during the great apostasy. The false church will have more members than the true Church, at a certain point in time.

message of 3/16/13: St. Peter will direct his barque amidst great tempests. Pray. The successor of Peter is going to need your prayers. He will experience his Calvary. He will be loved and hated because of his positions. Now is the time of suffering. The poison is in the tree, not in the fruit. The Church of my Jesus is going toward a future of great trials, but as I have already told you, Jesus is in charge of everything. Peter in the land of Peter. What I am telling you, you may not comprehend now, but calm your hearts, for Jesus walks with you. The king will suffer because of his subjects. Do not be afraid. I am your Mother and I will plead with my Jesus for you. The road will be short for the king, similar to the crossing of the famous plaza.

interpretation: given the date of this message, the “successor” of Peter is the current Pope (Francis). He will suffer because he will reinforce the true holy teachings of the Catholic faith (using papal infallibility, I think). Does the tribulation begin this year, or in some future year? “Now is the time of suffering.” So, it begins this year, under this Pope. The Pope is the king of the Church, for he is the Vicar of Christ the King. His road is short, meaning his reign is short. The great tempests are due to the rejection of the Church’s teachings by most Catholics and by secular society.

message of 3/17: Humanity is moving toward the abyss of destruction which men have prepared with their own hands. Pray. Only through the power of prayer can you withstand the weight of the trials that are on the way. I am your Mother and I am at your side. I ask you to intensify your prayers on behalf of the Church. There will be great confusion, but the victory will belong to Jesus. Do not be afraid. The victory will occur. The barque of St. Peter will be surrounded by enemies and Peter will suffer much.

The abyss of destruction refers to nuclear war, caused by weapons which men have prepared with their own hands. The confusion is caused by the great apostasy. The victory is the end of the schism and the false church. The barque of St. Peter is the true Church. A barque is a relatively small ship, meaning that the Church will become much smaller, but also holier. The enemies surrounding the Church are the unfaithful Catholics and secular persons, attacking the Church’s teachings, and the enemies of war surrounding Rome and (later) capturing the Pope.

4. Mimi Lewis says:

Message of 3/16: “The poison is in the tree, not in the fruit”?

The false church set up during the great apostasy will have some good fruits. But it is not the Church established by Christ, and it will have false doctrines and no Apostolic authority. It will be a poisonous tree, that people will promote based on its apparent good fruits (such as many people returning to church and prayer, but only because they like the false doctrines).

5. lory says:

in corea inizia la grande tribolazione?

No, the tribulation does not begin in Korea. Scripture says that the war of the tribulation is from “Media and Persia”, referring to Iran and Iraq and the other Arab/Muslim nations. North Korea is making a lot of noise, but they are not the main threat.